Cyber crime today
- Cyber crimes are any crimes that involve a computer and also a network. These computer crimes are committed intentionally to harm both individuals and groups.
- There are different kinds of hackers which penetrate security systems for both beneficial and harmful effects. The motives for hacking are usually for either personal benefit, company benefit, or security involving private information.
- For example, “White-hats,” are hackers who hack for system improvement purposes for more than likely the company they work for, while “Black-hats” are hackers are the cliche invaders which only attack for personal gains using malicious tactics. “Hacktivists” are becoming more noticeable in modern times, which are motivated by political or religious reasons often exposing a sort of wrong doing.
- In January 15, Yahoo was targeted by a Malware attack. Yahoo sent notification users about their accounts being most likely breached. The account was affected by a flaw in Yahoo’s mail service that allowed an attacker which most like was a state actor to use a forged cookie to gain access without passwords.
- In February, Zerocoin had a coding error that let a hacker have a big amount of profit. The attacker many things to camouflage his tracks through different accounts. The attacker spread out deposits and withdrawals over the several weeks. This exploit happened due to a bug in the code.
- Online security/safe practices
- There’s different way in where you can keep hackers away. People need to be careful with any link that appear without knowing that the link is about. Also you need to make sure to log out from any account and to always have your device by your side. Another thing is to make sure you create different and difficult passwords for different accounts that you will remember. Lastly, use anti-virus and anti-malware to be safe.